Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pushing through to make it happen.

Today is cause for great celebration and just may deem 2 quotes!

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
~Henry David Thoreau

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.~ Joel Arthur Barke


It was 2006 when I decided to write my first book. It was my life's story. I had hit a hard place that left me so low that I didn't know any other way out of it, but to write my way. I remember distinctly my mother asking me "what are you doing on the computer for so long all the time?" I answered very straight faced "I'm writing a book." She huffed and gave a quick laugh and said "yeah right." She meant no harm by it, it just sounded off the wall. And off the wall it was...for her. As for me, I wrote and I wrote everything that was happening in my life with the dream that one day it would be heard around the world. The way that I came from the grips of my own hell and up into a spiritual high that I could never come down from. It was in those moments that I realized that we had a short sighted view that the only people who lived extraordinary lives were other people. I decided to jump that fence and go live on the other side.

In those years, I also wrote a book that I knew the most about-Stretching. Basic, easy stretches for anyone to do. What I do best in life is learn the hard stuff, and then figure out a way to make it easy to teach. I'm a simplifier. And for me, it translated into my first self published book Stretch Therapy. All the while still hammering away at my secret book (From Fear to Faith). My Stretch book published, and I followed it up a year later with a sequel. I threw myself a party, tried to get the sales going and ...well, that's it. Nothing really went too far, but I did gain respect and the affirmation that I am a person that actually follows through and makes it happen. That in itself was a marvelous find.

I took it one step further though. I started going to trade shows. Not many, as they are very expensive and I have little to my name in the way of extra income to market myself and my books. So, I saved and I worked and I prayed and I showed up in New York City this year for the biggest book conference there is.

And yesterday it happened...I got a contract from a publishing house to collaborate and re-do my Stretch Therapy books into something much bigger. Now, I have the backing I had always wanted so badly to do it on a big scale. My book will be in Barnes and Nobles and Borders books around the world.

What makes this possible? I NEVER gave up. I never gave in. I always believed that I had something in my books worth taking a risk on. The moral of the story? Do what you love, and believe in it all the way through. As another quote that I've always loved was:
“Most people give up just when they're about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game, one foot from a winning touchdown.” ~Ross Perot

I have always talked about the dreamers and the do-ers. And today I celebrate the most amazing feeling in my heart as the call finally came and I got the go ahead. Whatever it is that you want to be doing, DO IT.

I have faith in YOU.

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Emily, You kept saying, "I think I can", and you DID! I am very happy to see that your books will reach many more people. You have a special gift - - thank you for sharing yourself with all of us. Love, ER

    ReplyDelete